Saturday 19 July 2008

She dreamed of her wanton luxury


Most days I spend my time retouching gorgeous photographs by the photographer Robert Polidori. I always loved his work and somehow ended up working with him, which is fantastic as I am always surrounded by beautiful images. For the past few months we've been working on a project on Versailles- he's been shooting there for 25 years and, while he published a book on Versailles in 1996, a new book of his images will be published by Steidl around Christmas. The book and shows of the work have been occupying most of our time- he just had a show at the Edwynn Houk gallery in New York and there are upcoming shows in Paris, Toronto and London. It can get rather exhausting to work on thousands of images of the same place, however beautiful they are, which was why it was rather good that I happened to watch Marie Antoinette again last night. I've seen it several times before, but it was more fun to intimately recognize all of the rooms and to see how they connected to one another (it has been a long time since I've been to Versailles in real life). It's such gorgeous building. And don't even get me started on the clothes in the film!




All Photos Copyright © Robert Polidori

No comments: